Friday, 2 August 2013

August 2013 - back to work, and fruit!

Well, finally I feel well enough to make it back to work, it has been a long time coming....much longer than planned. Hopefully everything will slot back into place over the coming weeks and work won't be the horrible shock I'm expecting. Getting back into a regimented way of life again probably will be hard when I've spent weeks doing my own thing and not really thinking much about anything else other than my own health and my immediate family. It will be tricky fitting in visits to see my Dad in the hospital as well as working again, but needs must. I really need my driving licence back soon. 

I trundled over to see my Dad yesterday on the bus whilst Deb was at work - I can't always rely on her to take me everywhere. We are quite lucky where we live because there is a bus that goes almost past our front door to Pompey or Southampton and another one that is a 5 minute walk away that goes right past the Gosport War Memorial Hospital where Dad is. So I thought I would try it out, the journey took about 35 minutes there, and 45-50 on the way back but did cost the princely sum of £5.60 which is the same cost to go all the way to Pompey. A bit steep I thought, but it does drop you right outside the hospital. The bus was hot and stuffy and surprisingly busy, but it did the trick. Me using public transport, that doesn't happen very often.

And fruit, there's a weird thing. For most of my life I have never been a big fruit eater, somehow I've always found fruit too much like hard work, unless the juice comes ready prepared in a carton. But since I came out of hospital the second time, I have had such a yearning for sweet juicy fruit. Today I've had several lovely plums (I know, double entendres  galore) that Deb found on the cheap in the local fruiterer, and also 'ripe' for consumption is a Galia melon and several Satsumas (had a gorgeous honeydew melon last week)...they may last me the weekend. I just can't get enough of the stuff, I can only assume my body is craving sweet things, as Coca Cola, Orange Squash and Lucozade is also going down by the bucket-load. Now I've always had a sweet tooth, but right now it is as sweet as it has ever been, and I can only assume that is something to do with what is going on with my body right now. The sugary drinks obviously not so good, but I've always wanted to get more into fruit....we'll see how long it lasts, probably not long knowing me.

Went back to the doctor today, who was happy with the fading of my blood-spot rash on my legs (now more brown spots than red) and my blood coagulation test was fine although my haemoglobin level is down a bit because of the blood I've lost into my skin - it has been low (albeit rising slowly) since my operation but this apparently is normal in my situation. 

So there's the first update in August, now 9 and a half weeks since my operation and 6 weeks since I came out of hospital for the second time. And I've even blogged about my experience, whatever next!

No comments:

Post a Comment