Sunday 2 February 2014

February 2014 - Another month whizzes by

I can't remember exactly when in February 2013, but it was the month I had the fateful blood tests that led the medics to realise I was ultra low on Cortisol and Adrenaline. Deb and I still talk about the day the doctor* phoned my wife and asked "where exactly is your husband?" with a vocal tone that suggested something was wrong. What the doctor meant was 'is he driving or operating heavy machinery' or doing something that could endanger his life. As it happens I was sitting at my desk at work, typing much like I am now (albeit at home). The low level of Cortisol I had in my blood could have led me to pass out, and the doctor frequently said to me he could not believe how apparently healthy I was with such a low level. I still vividly remember the panic that set in that day imagining all the things that could be wrong with me. Google did not help me that day :-)

*sadly this doctor, Dr. Newman, had a massive stroke recently and I understand he may not recover. He is only in his 60s, I hope his prognosis is wrong as he is a lovely doctor and really helped me in the early stages of my diagnosis. He did all the right tests I needed so that by the time I had the referral for Dr Kar my Endocrinologist he had pretty much all the knowledge he needed to make a diagnosis rather than start from scratch.

So in February 2013 I was prescribed Hydrocortisone tablets and I still continue to do today and probably for the rest of my life.

Talking of Dr Kar, he has recently joined the movement of the "NHS Change Day" and made a specific pledge to help his patients. As an inpatient of two different hospitals last year, I can really see how this will make a difference if he can make it happen (I suspect he will). Here is a link to his blog. It really is worth a read.

As for my progress, a load of blood tests coming up at the end of this week....something I no longer fear half as much as I used to.

Happy February everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment